Yassa Lamb Burgers
Yassa lamb burgers from Chef Pierre Thiam
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time15 mins
- 2 lb Ground Lamb or Ground Goat
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 lime grated zest
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil for brushing
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lime juice
- 8 buns
- Fried eggs
- Dijon mustard
- Tamarind Kani Sauce see recipe below
Place ground lamb in a large bowl and add all ingredients.
Using your hands, mix until well-combined.
Shape into 6 to 8 burgers. Place on a platter, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or longer.
Heat the oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
Add the onions and bay leaf and stir well to coat.
Season lamb burgers with salt and pepper.
Cover and cook undisturbed for 10 to 15 minutes, until soft.
Add lime juice and stir well.
Adjust the seasoning and raise the heat to medium-high.
Cook the onions uncovered for another 10 minutes or more, stirring from time to time to avoid scorching, until the onions are golden brown.
Remove the bay leaf and adjust the seasoning.
Grill and Serve
Preheat the grill or grill pan.
Brush the burgers with a little oil to avoid sticking.
Cook the burgers to desired temperature.
Set aside to rest for a few minutes before serving.
Top with the yassa onions, optional mustard or kani sauce