As far as lamb chops go, there are basically two different types: the loin chop (sometimes call T-bones) or rib chops cut from the rack. Either of these will work for this recipe. Both loin and rib chops have little if any marbling, especially our delicious grass-fed ones, so they will cook fast, but luckily, nature provices a ring of fat along the outside edge will protect the meat and can be trimmed after cooking if it unwanted.
This recipe is by chef Ben Spangler. Hailing from Minnesota, Ben draws from his Midwestern roots to create dishes that are unpretentious and delicious. Ben has competed on national television for the Food Network and appeared on local Minneapolis food networks. He is currently executive chef at Mercy in Minneapolis.
2 lb Lamb Riblets (spareribs)
5 ea Lamb Sausages (or substitute ground)
2 lb Ground Lamb (Optional)
1 cup salt
½ cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon pink salt (sodium nitrite/optional)
1 ea onion
3 ea bell peppers
3 ea Jalapeños
2 ea Anaheim peppers
1 bunch of cilantro
3 ea garlic cloves
2 cans stewed tomatoes
2 ea fresh tomatoes
2 cups red pinto beans (soaked overnight in water)
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons cumin
1 quart water or stock
1 Tablespoon oregano
2 oz sour cream
Rub for lamb ribs
- Mix sugar and salt with pink salt.
- Coat lamb riblets evenly with salt mixture.
- Allow to sit overnight or up to two days refrigerated.
- Rinse with water, pat dry.
- Smoke (optional) or roast on a grate over a pan for 2 hours on a low setting.
- Chill the ribs, then cut into medium dice.
- Slice sausages ½ inches thick slices.
Smoked Lamb and Sausage Chili
- Remove seeds from peppers and dice.
- Dice the onion.
- Mince garlic, cilantro and dice tomatoes.
- Open 2 cans of stewed tomatoes.
- Caramelize onions on medium heat.
- Add the lamb meat (sausage, riblets and ground).
- Lightly brown.
- Add all peppers and cook lightly.
- Mix dry spices mix and add with chopped and canned tomatoes and minced cilantro (save some for plating).
- Add beans and water.
- Simmer, covered for 3-5 hours until beans are tender.
Serve the lamb chili in warmed bowls with sour cream and chopped cilantro.