Lamb Liver, Mushrooms and Onions
Our grass-fed lamb liver, mushrooms and sauteed onions is a delicious and nutrient rich combination. When sourced from healthy, grass fed lambs and goats, liver is loaded with a wide variety of vitamins, minerals, proteins and fat. It is particularly rich in the key nutrients that help keep our brains healthy. Liver provides an excellent source of high-quality protein, Nature’s most concentrated source of vitamins particularly vitamin B12, one of the best sources of folate, and a highly usable form of iron among other important nutrients.
Rather fulfill your nutrient needs with supplements? Be aware they may not absorb as well as the real thing and liver is delicious-as long as it isn’t overcooked.
This recipe is by chef Ben Spangler. Hailing from Minnesota, Ben draws from his Midwestern roots to create dishes that are unpretentious and delicious. Ben has competed on national television for the Food Network and appeared on local Minneapolis food networks. He is currently executive chef at Mercy in Minneapolis.
Liver, Onions, and Mushrooms
1 Shepherd Song Farm Lamb Liver
3 oz button mushrooms, sliced 1/4 inch
1 teaspoon thinly sliced garlic
1 Tablespoon finely minced shallot
4 thyme sprigs
Salt and pepper
1 oz unsalted butter
1 teaspoon flour
1 oz brandy
2 oz vegetable stock
1 Slice of buttered toast/person
3 eggs (optional)
2 oz heavy cream
1 oz Parmesan cheese (optional)
1 oz cream cheese (optional)
1 Tablespoon Italian parsley, roughly chopped
1 Tablespoon chives, sliced
Saute the Onions and Mushrooms
- Chop onion into thin slices
- Evenly butter both sides of bread.
- Add oil to pan and sauté onions until caramelized over medium heat, about 15-20 minutes. Add butter and herbs and set aside.
- Sauté mushrooms for 5-7 minutes. Allow to sear and color. Season with salt and put aside with onions.
- Sauté garlic, shallots, and herbs with butter.
- Caramelize and deglaze with brandy.
- Add vegetable stock, mushrooms and onions and heat thoroughly.
- In a clean pan sear both sides of bread on medium heat.
Cook the Lamb Liver
- Salt and pepper the liver, then dust with flour.
- Sear the liver on high heat and cook 30% through, then flip.
- Cook until medium rare or desired doneness, but don’t cook well done.
- Remove the liver, reserve and keep warm.
Scrambled Eggs (optional)
- Crack eggs and lightly whisk in a small bowl with the cream, season with salt and pepper
- Add oil to the pan on medium low heat.
- Add egg mixture and use spatula to spread around to prevent a skin from forming.
- Add cream cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Season eggs with salt and pepper and finish with herbs. Reserve and keep warm.
Finish and Serve
- Plate the toast first, cut on the diagonal.
- Add eggs (optional), then liver with onions and mushrooms on top.
- Drizzle with pan sauce.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.