Lamb Chops with Artichokes
Want a great cut for the grill? lamb loin chops look like little meaty little T-bone steaks, and that’s exactly what they are. When cooking them, as they’re small, at least 30 minutes before you are ready to begin grilling, remove the chops from the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature. If they were frozen be sure they are completely thawed.
As for the flavor, Grass fed lamb fat is flavorful, healthy, and clean tasting. Trim off the extra fat to your preference but don’t trim too close as the fat adds a good depth of flavor and insulates the meat. Salt, pepper, and a touch of herbs is all the flavoring premium lamb needs.
This recipe is by chef Ben Spangler. Hailing from Minnesota, Ben draws from his Midwestern roots to create dishes that are unpretentious and delicious. Ben has competed on national television for the Food Network and appeared on local Minneapolis food networks. He is currently executive chef at Mercy in Minneapolis.
Looking to buy lamb or goat online? Shepherd Song Farm: Grass to table. We raise lambs & goats traditionally, humanely and sustainably. 100% Grass Fed, Pasture Raised, Never Confined, no Hormones, Grains or Animal Byproducts. Born, raised and processed in the U.S.A. Good for you and good for the environment.
Prepare a hot fire in a grill. Place the chops on the grill and cook, turning once, until nicely charred and done to rare or medium-rare. Grilled lamb is one of the best ways to enjoy this luscious meat.
- Shepherd Song Farm lamb loin chops 2 chops per person
- 1 lemon
- 10 small baby potatoes
- 2 globe artichokes
- 2 oz arugula
- 1 oz thyme
- 1 oz parsley
- 1 sprig rosemary
- .5 oz mixed nuts
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Artichokes and Potatoes
- Clean artichokes
- Slice lemon into slivers
- Rough chop mixed nuts
- Remove thyme from branches and parsley leaves from stems
- Add potatoes to water in small sauce pot. Set aside.
- Press rosemary into loin chop and drizzle with oil.
- Add cleaned artichokes to potatoes into pot and cook on medium heat. Boil until artichokes are tender, 15 minutes.
- Remove artichokes from the pot and continue to cook potatoes until tender, then remove and cool.
- Slice artichokes thin.
- Smash potatoes until flat. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with oil and chopped rosemary.
Lamb Loin Chops
- Prepare grill to medium heat.
- Season loin chops with salt and pepper.
- Add a sliced lemon and potatoes to the grill and partially cook.
- Add artichokes and lamb loin chops herb side down
- Caramelize artichokes without burning.
- Squeeze lemon over artichokes and set aside.
- Flip meat when cooked a third through.
- When lamb chops reach medium rare, 130-135 °F remove from heat
- Allow to rest for about 5 minutes.
Finish and Serve
- Plate potatoes first, followed by artichokes and arugula.
- Season with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Squeeze extra lemon over the top.
- Place lamb loin chops on top and garnish with chopped nuts and olive oil.