Tender goat meatballs, marinara sauce, parmesan, and spaghetti is another classic recipe easily adapted for goat that will win over anyone. As with ground beef and chicken, ground goat is usually very lean, especially our 100% grass-fed product, so, just like other meatballs you might have made, it needs a binder, in this case breadcrumbs.
To prevent breadcrumbs from drying out the meat, milk is often added to hydrate them, as using simply dried breadcrumbs can rob the meat of moisture. Keeping with the goat theme of our dish, Chef Spangler soaks his breadcrumbs in goat milk-a great alternative dairy that can be much gentler on sensitive digestion systems than cow’s.
This recipe is by chef Ben Spangler. Hailing from Minnesota, Ben draws from his Midwestern roots to create dishes that are unpretentious and delicious. Ben has competed on national television for the Food Network and appeared on local Minneapolis food networks. He is currently executive chef at Mercy in Minneapolis.
Shepherd Song Farm ground goat meat (2 lb)
1 Tablespoon grated fennel
2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
2 garlic cloves
3 egg yolks
2 oz goat milk
2 oz cheese
3 oz breadcrumbs
4 oz ground fat or sausage (optional)
2 oz lamb gelatin (optional)
1 ea onion
1 ea parsley bunch
1 cup vegetable stock
1 jar of marinara sauce, your favorite brand
mortar & pestle (optional)
Ground Goat Mixture
- Season ground goat with salt and pepper.
- With mortar & pestle grind fennel, cumin and oregano with bread crumbs.
- Move mixture to a metal mixing bowl.
- Add goat milk to the bread crumbs and stir until combined.
- Dice onion & lamb gelatin.
- Thinly slice garlic, parsley and thyme and add to bread crumbs.
- Add egg yolks, half of the cheese, ground lamb fat to the ground goat meat.
- Allow mixture to sit and absorb flavors together before rolling into balls.
Finish and Serve
- Sear in a cast iron skillet on all sides.
- Add vegetable stock and Marinara sauce.
- Simmer for 45 min or until cooked thoroughly.
- Boil pasta noodles for 7 min (or 1 min less then recommended).
- Toss noodles in sauce and plate with meatballs.