Customer Question: “What does goat meat taste like? Is it like venison?”
We are frequently asked what goat meat tastes like. Let’s start by saying what it doesn’t taste like. Goat meat does NOT taste like chicken, beef, lamb or venison. Quality goat meat does NOT taste gamey, grassy or strong. It has its own distinct, delicate flavor and a fine texture. Goat meat is one of the most common red meats around the world. A juicy goat burger may be the easiest way to discover the flavor of goat meat for yourself.
This recipe is simple without exotic spices to distract from the true flavor of the meat. The onions and sweet peppers are included in the mix raw to increase the moisture of the lean, low-fat meat pattie. Feel free to adapt this recipe with your favorite spices as our suggestions are offered as guidelines, not rules.
1 lb Ground Goat
1 medium purple onion, chopped fine
1 small sweet red pepper, chopped fine
1 sweet orange pepper, chopped fine
Dash of lemon juice
Fresh, ground black pepper and sea salt to taste
Optional: Fresh baby spinach, tomato, purple onion and sweet pepper as garnish
Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl assemble the peppers, onions and ground meat.
- Thoroughly mix ingredients by hand and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Form the ground meat mixture into 4 patties. Insert a thumb-shaped indentation on the top of each one to allow for more even cooking.
- Place the patties on the grill grate directly over the heat. Turn once. Grill the burgers to your desired doneness. Note: do not overcook.
- Serve in standard hamburger buns, pita pockets, Ciabatta rolls, or make a wrap with lettuce
Add condiments of your choice or eat plain.