Braised Leg of Lamb with Fresh Rosemary and Thyme
Looking for a family friendly dish? How about a 100% grass fed leg of lamb? The fresh rosemary and thyme in this easy to prepare dish really allows the delicate lamb flavor to shine.
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ cup olive oil
4 small peeled potatoes or other root vegetables
½ head of celery
15 large sprigs fresh rosemary (if available)
15 large sprigs fresh thyme (if available)
6 bay leaves
½ bottle of red wine
Salt and black pepper to taste
½ cup Tomato paste
1 ½ qt. chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 550 degrees.
- Rub leg thoroughly with olive oil and fresh lemon juice.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast leg until browned evenly for about 15 minutes.
- Remove roasting pan from oven and add remaining ingredients.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and cook covered for 4-5 hours or until lamb is tender.
- Baste occasionally.
- When done (approximately 135-140 degrees) remove from oven.
- Transfer to serving platter (do not allow to sit in liquid).
- Allow meat to rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Strain braising liquid and put back on heat.
- Reduce liquid by about half to a thick broth stirring occasionally.
- Serve with the lamb as a sauce.